Steam is the multi-user gaming platform on which a user can create, discover, and download free as well as paid games. Apart from gaming, it allows users to chat with friends, live streaming of videos and game sharing with friends. Installing steam on the device is the best way to stay updated with the latest games and have immediate access to them.
Users can access their steam account and the games from any machine. As the user collects or installs more and more games it consumes considerable storage on the hard drive and users might experience slow system performance. In such cases, users can uninstall steam from their system. Users can reinstall it later whenever he wants.
This article provides the total guidance about how to uninstall steam games and steam itself from your PC. The user who wants to remove steam games or steam from their system can stay tuned with this article.
How to uninstall any particular game from a steam application:
Instead of removing the entire steam application from the system, the user can simply uninstall heavy or never used games from the Steam application to boost the system performance. It is recommended by the experts that the user should uninstall the games which the user never played. Here are the steps by using which user can uninstall any game from the steam.
- Launch the Steam client on your device.
- Enter the username and password to login to a steam client. The users who already login to the application can skip this step.
- On the dashboard go to the library.
- Search and right-click on the game which you want to uninstall in the game list.
- Click on the uninstall option from the context menu.
- Click on the delete button to completely delete the game files from the Steam application.
- This process might take a couple of seconds to complete. Restart the steam application once the uninstall process finishes.
Users can also install the games in the secondary drive instead of system drive so the installed game doesn’t affect the system performance.
Uninstalling steam from the windows operating system:
Windows users can follow the set of steps given below to uninstall steam from the windows system.
- Steps for Windows 10 users:
- Click on the windows icon and go to the settings app.
- Go to the ‘Apps’ and select ‘Apps and features’.
- Search and select ‘Steam’ from the applications list.
- Click on the ‘Uninstall’ button to remove steam from the windows.
- Restart the system.
- Steps for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users:
- Go to Start-> control panel. Windows 8 and 8.1 users can right-click on the Start icon and select the control panel from the context menu.
- Click on the link ‘uninstall a program’ which is under the programs section of the control panel.
- Select ‘steam’ from the programs list and follow on-screen instructions to uninstall steam from the system.
- Restart the device.
The windows users who are unable to uninstall steam by using the regular method can use the alternative process to uninstall steam from their device.
- Press Windows key+ R from the keyboard to open the run window.
- Type ‘Regedit’ in the textbox without quote and click on the ‘ok’ button.
- The 32-bit system users can go to + by HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-> + by SOFTWARE-> Valve. Right-click on Valve and click on the delete option from the context menu.
- The 64-bit system users can go to + by HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-> + by SOFTWARE-> + by Wow6432Node-> Valve. Right-click on it and select delete option.
- Restart the system.
In this way, users can completely delete steam from the windows registry.
Uninstalling steam from Mac operating system:
Mac users can execute the steps given below to uninstall steam from the Mac computer system.
- Close the steam application if it is open in the system.
- Launch ‘Finder’ and go to the ‘Applications’ folder.
- Find the ‘Steam’ in the applications list. Right-click on it and select the ‘Move to trash’ option to remove a steam application from the Mac.
- Navigate to Library-> Application support.
- Delete the Steam subfolder present in the Application Support directory.
- Users should also check for the steam directory on the given paths and Delete them if they are present.
Restart the Mac, In this way, users can uninstall steam from their Mac system.
Uninstalling steam from the Linux or Ubuntu system:
Most of the software or IT people are using the Linux operating system. Such users can follow the steps given below to remove steam from their Linux device.
- Press the Ctrl+ Alt + T keys from the keyboard to open the terminal.
- Type the command ‘Sudo apt-get remove steam’ on the console and press enter.
- After then type another command ‘Sudo apt-get purge steam’ on the terminal and hit the enter button.
- Type ‘rm -rf ~/.local/share/Steam && rm -rf ~/.steam’ on the console and press enter button.
- Close the terminal and restart the system.
In this way, the user can uninstall steam from their Linux system.
How to delete the Steam account:
The users who permanently uninstall steam from their device and do not have any plan to reinstall it in the future can delete their steam account using steps given below.
- Launch the Steam client application and go to account details.
- Click on the ‘delete my steam account’ option from the menu.
- Click on the ‘proceed on account deletion process’ button.
- Fill the verification form appears on the screen.
- Steam will mail you to confirm your ownership. Verify and click on the verification link.
- Steam will delete the user’s account after 30 days.
In this way, the user can delete their steam account. We hope that this article will assist users in removing the steam client from their device. Users can directly drop the mail to steam support for any of the queries and questions related to the steam application.